Hi lovely Harts blog readers. I’m usually blogging over at Randomly Happy, but am super excited to be guest blogging here today. I don’t know about you, but there’s just something about this time of year that has me itching to try new shapes and patterns. Maybe it’s that back to school feeling?
One thing that’s been on my mind for a while now is a slouchy, cool-girl blazer to wear as it gets cooler (or if you’re in the UK, any time, since summer seems to have abandoned us). Something easy to thrown over jeans and look a bit pulled together.
I spotted this sweet flannel Robert Kaufman fabric and knew it would make a great base for a relaxed blazer. There’s something about the flecked nature of the weave that reminds me a little of houndstooth plaid, but without the formality.
Plus it’s flannel so it’s super warm and cosy.
Hello secret pyjamas.
I AM Artemis is a boxy coat/blazer pattern with deep pockets (!) and dolman sleeves. It’s really clever how they’ve drafted it with the pockets being formed by a bottom front and top front piece (though to be fair it did take me a little bit to get my head round how it all fit together).
I also spotted the lining hack on the I AM blog and was convinced it would add a bit of fun to the blazer – especially in a fun, cheery fabric like this Art Gallery meadow dreams organic cotton.
I know, right?
So of course I set to work immediately to make my vision a reality.
Everything came together incredibly quickly (especially once I worked out how the three main pieces fit together) and the instructions were helpful. I think they might be a tad tricky if I was an absolute beginner since they don’t illustrate every single step, but the pattern’s so simple it’s really quite straightforward.
I think the only thing that I found tricky was the sizing. I ignored the sizing guide (as per usual) and went for the 38 based on the RTW size I usually wear. I sewed it all up without a hitch, tried it on, and yikes was it massive! And not in a slouchy, borrowed my boyfriend’s blazer kind of way, but unflattering, bag lady of the apocalypse slouchy. Such a shame too since I’d added the lining, hemmed and top-stitched the whole thing.
But after some unpicking and 4 cm taken in from each side seam (!!) it worked out. Morale of the story: try this on before adding the collar, lining (if using) and finishing the hem.
In the end, this is totally the perfect, easy-to-wear blazer of my dreams. With extra bonus points for being an incredibly easy sew (even after adjusting the fit). Plus, the pattern is a cracking little go-to and I’m keen to try this out in different fabrics and lengths to make robes and a few coatagins or two.