Let's get sewing with day 3 of our Traverse Bag Sew Along!
The first steps are all about installing our 8" zipper. I like using something other than pins for my zipper sandwich, Anna recommends glue, but I used the fusible tape that we used to fuse the piping on day 2. Here are my steps:
- Place the 1/4" fusible tape along the top edge of Zipper Bottom Panel (B) exterior fabric right side up
- Give the tape a quick press to fuse it to the Zipper Bottom Panel
- Peel off the paper from the fusible tape
- Cover the fusible tape with your 8" zipper face down with zipper pull on the left and press to fuse
- Place another strip of fusible tape along the top edge of the zipper
- Press the tape
- Peel off the paper
- Place the Zipper Bottom Panel (B) lining fabric on top of the zipper, aligning the top edges
- Press to fuse
- Using your zipper foot, sew using a 1/4" seam allowance
Press your seam along the zipper and then press your lining away from zipper. With the zipper on one side and the exterior and lining on the other side, give it all a good press and then topstitch next to the zipper.
I like to use a 3mm stitch when topstitching.
Using the above steps with the fusible tape you want to sandwich the zipper with the Zipper Pocket Lining (C) and the Zipper Top Panel (A). Once you've sewn these together you want to press the Zipper Top Panel away from the zipper and topstitch along the zipper.
Note *Do not press the lining up and away from zipper!
Next clip (or pin) your assembly together and baste around the side and bottom edges
In this last part you're going to sew the Back Side Panel pieces to the sides of your zipper assembly.
Be sure to pull the zipper partially open so that you don't hit the tab when you're sewing. You also want to be careful when you are sewing over the section with the zipper, because it's very easy to hit the zipper teeth and end tabs and break your needle...like I did!
Sew the sides, then press the seams toward the sides and topstitch 1/8" from seam on side and again 1/4" away from your first line of topstitching.
Alrighty! This is what my Back Exterior looks like on the front and back. I'm sure yours all look great, and I can't wait to see them...please post progress pics using #hartssewalong!