Today in the spirit of #sewnwithhart I decided to share my favorite recipe for vegan scones! Nothing puts me in the mood for sewing and crafting quite like a nice pot of tea with baked goods! These scones are super delicious and perfect with jam and coconut cream, I hope you try them!
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
5 tablespoon cold vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
1 cup coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 425
- Prepare your coconut cream. When you first open the can of coconut cream you will notice that it has separated. Before I measure out the cup of cream I need for the recipe, I like to use my standing mixer to whisk up the coconut into a nice smooth cream. Note: there will be coconut cream left over, I suggest beating the leftovers on high with a bit of vanilla and sugar, then popping it in the fridge. This will give you some nice coconut whipped cream to top your scones with! Yum!
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter or a standing mixer, cut in your cold butter to your dry ingredients until the mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- Mix in your coconut cream. I like to add a little at a time until the dough is the right consistency; I end up using ¾ – 1 cup of cream. You want your dough to be soft but not too wet. At this point you could also add dried fruit or lemon zest if you want a different flavor scone.
- Divide your dough into two even balls. Press the balls into an even circle of dough about 1” thick. Now cut each disk into six wedges.
- Transfer your scones to a parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle the tops with sugar.
- Bake your scones for 10 – 12 minutes until the tops are golden.
- Let cool on a wire rack, then serve!
I really hope you guys try these out! They come together quickly and are super easy to whip up. I highly recommend trying a batch with dried apricots, soooo good! Don’t forget to let us know if you make a batch!
Happy sewing (and baking)!